PM Modi has handed sovereign India's foreign policy to US, says Congress

New Delhi: With US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announcing that India has pledged to purchase goods worth $500 billion from the US over the next five years, Congress on Sunday alleged PM Modi has handed over sovereign India’s foreign policy to the US, even as it asked Modi if “capitulation” to the US on imports is linked to “the relief provided to the Modani empire by US President Donald Trump”. The US last week dismissed the criminal fraud charges against Adani in the “solar energy scam”.In a statement referring to Rubio’s announcement, Congress’ Jairam Ramesh said India’s yearly imports are $52.9 billion, and India will have to double its annual imports from the US.Ramesh said countries like Malaysia have annulled their trade agreements with the US after US Supreme Court declared Trump’s tariffs illegal. “The Indo-US trade deal saw Modi govt unilaterally make enormous concessions that threaten our farmers and industries. The logic of this deal has now collapsed after US Supreme Court’s verdict striking down tariffs,” he said.He said that Modi has asked Indians to save foreign exchange but agreed to record imports from the US, arguing a surge in imports will further weaken the rupee.



Source link